Monday, August 30, 2010

BARRY LYNDON


(December 1975, U.S.)

We're about to enter into new territory here because this is the first film I am posting from my favorite director of all time, the late Stanley Kubrick. His death in 1999 was one of only three celebrity deaths that have ever left me feeling genuinely sad (the other two were Paul Newman in 2008 and Farrah Fawcett in 2009).

BARRY LYNDON is a lavish costume period film that can be compared to latter films of the type like AMADEUS (1984), THE AGE OF INNOCENCE (1993) and some Merchant-Ivory films of the late '80's and early 90's. Doesn't exactly sound like it drips with excitement, does it? It doesn't. The difference here is that it's a Stanley Kubrick film. Those of you who know and understand his work, his unique style of film making and the genius behind his visions know that that makes all the difference.

The film takes us through an epic 18th Century journey through the life of Barry Lyndon (played by Ryan O'Neal), including his pistol duel with an English Captain over his cousin's hand, his unwitting involvement in the Seven Years War in Europe, his ultimate opportunistic marriage to the wealthy Countess of Lyndon and his inevitable downfall by the hands of his hateful stepson. The entire story does not seem like anything you haven't seen before in a period piece like this. But Kubrick's characteristic trademark filming that includes long facial closeups, wide angle shots, character tracking shots, zoom shots and shots down tall parallel walls make all the difference in the viewing experience.

Even after 35 years, I'm still not convinced that an actor like Ryan O'Neal was best suited to play such a distinguished role as this. But I suppose in 1975, after having scored hits with LOVE STORY, WHAT'S UP DOC? and PAPER MOON, he must have been considered the hot flavor of the time. Interestingly, in my opinion, the best performance comes out of Leon Vitali playing Lord Bullington. Vitali would later go on to serve on Kubrick's production team for his (Kubrick's) next three films.

I love all of Stanley Kubrick's films. Admittedly, though, BARRY LYNDON falls toward the bottom of my preference list simply because the subject matter is of limited interest to me. Like many of his films, it was misunderstood and unappreciated at the time of its release. And like many of his films, it gained a higher status in cinematic history and culture as time went on. Director Martin Scorsese has cited BARRY LYNDON as his favorite Kubrick film.

Favorite line or dialogue:

Lord Bullington: "Madam! I have born as long as mortal could endure the ill-treatment of the insolent Irish upstart whom you've taken into your bed. It is not only the lowness of his birth and the general brutality of his manners which disgusts me, but the shameful nature of his conduct towards Your Ladyship. His brutal and ungentleman-like behavior, his open infidelity, his shameless robberies and swindling of my property, and yours. And as I cannot personally chastise this lowbred ruffian, and as I cannot bear to witness his treatment of you and loathe his horrible society as if it were the plague; I have decided to leave my home and never return, at least during his detested life or during my own."

No comments:

Post a Comment