Monday, August 16, 2010

BACK TO THE FUTURE


(July 1985, U.S.)

You may not believe this, but just two weeks ago I actually saw a DeLorean DMC-12 on the road and before I was aware of what I was saying, I blurted out, "There goes a "Back to the Future" DeLorean!" Can you blame me? How can anyone ever see that car again and not immediately think of BACK TO THE FUTURE? Can't be done. Don't even try.

July 1985 was a very memorable month for me. It was the summer before I was to go away to college. I had a great summer job in Westhampton Beach, Long Island (I had a crush on the girl I was working with), LIVE AID was a global musical event (The Who and Led-Zeppelin reunited! Yeah!!!) and the summer movies were dominated by John Rambo, "A View to a Kill" (both the James Bond movie and the Duran Durnan song) and BACK TO THE FUTRE. This movie HAD to be a hit, right? Michael J. Fox was already a star on FAMILY TIES and the people who gave us RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK (1981) and E.T. (1982) were behind it (look them up).

Time travel in any film already makes for great high concept science fiction. But I think the real high concept in the story here is the challange Marty McFly faces in trying to make sure his would-be parents hook up in 1955 in order to save his own existence. How do you do that when your dad lacks any self-confidence and your mom has got the hots for you (Eww!). There lies the comedy and the insanity of it all.

Ever wonder what YOU could change if you could go back in time and locate your would-be parents? In my case, I'd have to travel to Forest Hills, Queens and Egypt!

Favorite line or dialogue:

George McFly: "Last night, Darth Vader came down from planet Vulcan and told me that if I didn't take Lorraine out that he'd melt my brain."

No comments:

Post a Comment