Monday, August 16, 2010

BACK TO THE FUTURE - PART II


(November 1989, U.S.)

The saga continues. Actually, it starts over. The original BACK TO THE FUTURE was not destined to have a sequel. But huge box office grosses make sequels go around and around and around. But guess what - this first sequel, in my opinion, actually surpasses the original film. How many sequels can you say THAT about?

Unlike its predessessor, the high concept of BACK TO THE FUTURE-PART II lies in the premise of time travel itself and what can conceivably go wrong when Marty McFly travels to the year 2015 and attempts to alter his own future with financial gain. I can't really blame the guy, though. If I could see the future results of all sporting events for the next 50 years, I'd want to be rich, too. Filthy fucking rich!!!

(but I digress)

The critical results of this film were not as successful as the first. Many felt lost in the plot of time travel and the alternate reality created as a result of financial greed. Funny, I had no problem with it. Hell, I enjoyed it. I enjoy watching a film that dares to ask me to use my brain for a moment. Who was it that decided that escapist fun in the movies had to be insulting to the intelligence? I think that most of your average moviegoing audience are too stupid and too impatient to keep up with and figure out any sort of high-concept sci-fi that dares to go beyond the traditional space ship and laser gun. Try explaining the concepts of 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY, THX-1138 or SOLARIS to the common Friday night "multiplexer". You can't. Don't even try.

Favorite line or dialogue:

Doc Brown: "They're taking her home, to your future home! We'll arrive shortly thereafter, get her out of there and go back to 1985."
Marty McFly: "You mean, I'm gonna see where I live? I'm gonna see myself as an old man?"
Doc: "No, no, no Marty, that could result in a-Great Scott! Jennifer could conceivably encounter her future self! The consequences of that could be disastrous!"
Marty: "Doc, what do you mean?"
Doc: "I foresee two possibilities. One, coming face to face with herself 30 years older would put her into shock and she'd simply pass out. Or two, the encounter could create a time paradox, the results of which could cause a chain reaction that would unravel the very fabric of the space time continuum, and destroy the entire universe! Granted, that's a worse case scenario. The destruction might in fact be very localized, limited to merely our own galaxy."
Marty: "Well, that's a relief."

No comments:

Post a Comment