Wednesday, May 26, 2010

ALWAYS


(December 1989, U.S.)

I suppose even a great director like Steven Spielberg is not exempt from caving in to do an occassional remake (or two). As far back as JAWS (1975), he and actor Richard Dreyfuss confessed a mutual love for the classic World War II drama, A GUY NAMED JOE (1943) and the desire to somehow emulate it. If you watch the Spielberg-written POLTERGEIST (1982), you'll see a sequence from JOE playing on the bedroom TV.

Although considered a box office flop (as Spielberg films go), ALWAYS is one of those rare remakes that can be enjoyed from a fresh perspective (being the third collaboration between Spielberg and Dreyfuss doesn't hurt it either). It's a ghost story and a love story with thrills, excitement and some decent laughs at the right moments. Sounds like GHOST (1990), doesn't it? Maybe - but this film was released months before and as I said, a remake of something done back during the golden age of cinema. In its own unique way, though, the film has that special touch of Spielberg magic and the results of that magic can perhaps inspire the viewer to take a sentimental look at love - love of life, love of profession and the endearing love of those lost to us.

I should also add that there is something undeniably fitting about Steven Spielberg being the last director to ever again work with the great Audrey Hepburn. This was her last film appearance before she died in January 1993.

Favorite line or dialogue:

Al Yackey: "I miss him, too! I miss him, too. I miss him every day. I loved him like I've never loved a guy. And I don't love guys. You don't have an excuse, you quit. You quit, you gave up. He never quit on anything 'till it killed him, and that was his way, and there's much worse ways, and boy you sure found one."
Dorinda: "I can't live with it!"
Al: "Bullshit!"

No comments:

Post a Comment