Thursday, May 20, 2010

ALL THE KING'S MEN


(November 1949, U.S.)

After several weeks, I'm finally discussing a classic black and white film again. This is also the first film I'm discussing that won the Oscar for best picture of the year.

To be perfectly honest, I was barely aware of this film until the 2006 remake was released (I haven't seen it). This story of the rise of Louisiana politician Willie Stark (based on real-life 1930's Governor Huey Long) is a classic example of the good man slowly turning into everything he has dedicated his life and career to fighting against. The twist here is that Stark is more than happy and proud to not only admit that he'll make deals with the Devil to make sure the people get what they need, but will also gladly continue doing it. He freely confesses that he believes that good can only really come from bad. His bold frankness in his political delivery goes so far as to freely call the people he represent a bunch of ignorant hicks, knowing that by getting them angry and riling them up, he will ultimately win their support. He's not wrong.

Sub-plots of this film include the usual (if not traditional) stories of political lies, back-stabbing, blackmailing and womanizing. Actor Broderick Crawford delivers a powerful performance that could probably only be matched by Sean Penn many decades later. But like I said, I haven't seen the 2006 remake, so it's impossible for me to comment at this time.

ALL THE KING'S MEN won the Oscar for best picture of 1949.

Favorite line or dialogue:

Willie Stark: "Now, shut up! Shut up, all of you! Now listen to me, you hicks! Yeah, you're hicks, too, and they fooled you a thousand times like they fooled me! But this time I'm going to fool somebody! I'm going to stay in this race! I'm on my own and I'm out for blood!"

No comments:

Post a Comment