Tuesday, June 1, 2010

AMADEUS


(September 1984, U.S.)

Even if you're not a fan of Mozart, classical music or opera (and I'm NOT!), there are many reasons to enjoy AMADEUS. Maybe you're a fan of some of director Milos Forman's previous films like ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST (1975), HAIR (1979) and RAGTIME (1981). Maybe you just can't resist Tom Hulce's nervous, childish, high-pitched laugh. Or maybe it's ultimately because F. Murray Abraham steals the entire film with a powerful, unforgettable performance as Antonio Salieri.

For myself, it's the fascination of learning (presuming it was, indeed, accurate) what a vulgar buffoon Wolfgang Amadues Mozart actually was when he wasn't sweating bullets to maintain his reputation and history as a musical genius. That being the case, somehow I can't picture anyone else but Tom Hulce (remember what a dork his character was in ANIMAL HOUSE?) playing such a man. And even for someone such as myself, who doesn't like classical music, I can't deny how well and how powerful the music of Mozart is worked into the story and the cinematography.

AMADEUS won the Oscar for best picture of 1984.

Favorite line or dialogue:

Mozart: "Why must I submit samples of my work to some stupid committee just to teach a thirteen year-old girl?"
Count Von Strack: "Because His Majesty wishes it."
Mozart: "Is the emperor angry with me?"
Von Strack: "Quite the contrary."
Mozart: "Then why doesn't he simply appoint me to the post?"
Von Strack: "Mozart, you are not the only composer in Vienna."
Mozart: "No. But I'm the BEST!"

No comments:

Post a Comment