Thursday, April 22, 2010

State your case with BLACK AND WHITE.


Just another thought before I get started...

It is particularly pleasing that the first film I shall talk about is a classic black and white one. Ever since college, when I discovered the films of the golden age of Hollywood, I've become a classic film addict. There's so much I've seen, on TV, DVD, video and occassionally on the revival movie screen. There's also so much I haven't seen. How could I? They've been making movies for over 100 years, and I've only been alive for forty-eight.

People have actually asked me why I love these films so much, citing that they were "before my time". This kind of argument is asinine, in my opinion! Mozart, Elvis Presley and the Beatles were before many of our times, but that doesn't prevent today's younger generation from loving and appreciating their music. Another thing to consider is that when I was a kid in the '70s and early '80s, black and white classics WERE the movies that were being shown on local TV stations like WPIX Channel 11, WWOR Channel 9 and WNEW Channel 5. The exposure was there. It was unavoidable.

Those days are gone, but now I thank all that is good in the world for TURNER CLASSIC MOVIES - the only channel on cable TV worth a damn! I thank TCM film historian ROBERT OSBORNE - the only TV host whose voice I enjoy listening to on a regular basis.

With that in mind, let's begin...

No comments:

Post a Comment