Friday, April 30, 2010

ALADDIN


(November 1992, U.S.)

There are a couple of things I should probably make clear to you before I get into this one. First, I can't honestly say that this movie (or any other family film) is part of MY collection anymore because I have a four year-old son and they now make up HIS collection. Second, (and pay attention to this, people!) I generally do not like musicals as a genre. You're going to find very few musical titles as you go through this blog.

Regarding ALADDIN, if it weren't for the fact that I think Robin Williams is one of the funniest people on this planet, this movie would never have crossed my path. It's his insane comic genius as the Genie that makes this one worthwhile for me. This was enough to get me to go see the movie on screen when it was released in 1992. Add the voice of Gilbert Gottfried into the mix and there are enough reasons for me to laugh when I'm watching this movie, even if I can't tolerate the singing. Sometimes even now, when my son says something predictable to me, I'll catch myself saying (in my best Gottfried impression), "Oh, there's a big surprise!"

By the way, I have a general question regarding many Disney animated musicals; why is it that so many Disney princesses do not have a mother? Didn't you ever wonder about that? Cinderella had no mother. Ariel had no mother. Belle - no mother. Jasmine - no mother. Mulan - no mother. I'd say somebody at Disney has had serious mother issues over the years!

Favorite line or dialogue:

Jafar: "Patience, Iago, patience. Gazeem was obviously less than worthy."
Iago: "Oh, there's a big surprise! That's an incredible - I think I'm gonna have a heart attack and die from that surprise!"

No comments:

Post a Comment