Friday, April 23, 2010

ABBOTT AND COSTELLO MEET FRANKENSTEIN


(June 1948, U.S.)

I think one only need listen to or watch their legendary comedy skit, "Who's On First" to know that Bud Abbott and Lou Costello were one of the greatest comedy teams of the 20th Century. They made numerous films together, but this one is often considered their most quintessential. And why not? You're not just getting Frankenstein, but Dracula (played again by Bela Lugosi) and the Wolfman (played again by Lon Chaney, Jr.). This had to have been a major event for Universal International to not only have their great comedy pair-up, but their legendary Universal monsters, as well. Frankly, just listening to the sound of Costello gettting scared out of his wits each time a monster appears is worth a look at this great comedy horror film, which in my opinion, even outsours Mel Brooks' YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN (1974).

Favorite line or dialogue:

Chick: "Look, Wilbur, we've always been pals, haven't we?"
Wilbur: "Oh, yes."
Chick: "We've always shared and shared alike, haven't we?"
Wilbur: "Hmm-mm."
Chick: "Well now, look, let's be reasonable, come on."
Wilbur: "I've always shared with you."
Chick: "Yes, you have!"
Wilbur: "If I had two cigarettes, I'd give you one."
Chick: That's right!"
Wilbur: "And if I had two pair 'a shoes, I'd give you a pair."
Chick: "Don't I know it?"
Wilbur: "And if I had two girls..."
Chick: "Eh, well?"
Wilbur: "Why don't you light that cigarette, put on those shoes and take a walk for yourself."

5 comments:

  1. As much as I loved this movie when it first came out, it was the one that (mercifully, most would say) killed off the Universal Pictures "horror movie" franchise.

    And as closely identified with the vampire count as was Lugosi, it was only the second time the actor ever portrayed "Dracula" on the screen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was working my way backwards and now I get the joke in the title of your blog. I love a good pun, and a bad one as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And 'Z' refers to the 1969 Costa Govras film, the last title in my film collection...so there you have it; from Abbott to Z.

    ReplyDelete
  4. With as many films as Abbott and Costello made, why did you chose this one? They meet the mummy, wolfman....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Meeting FRANKENSTEIN was the only one that really made me laugh. Some of the others seemed very redundant, too.

    ReplyDelete