Friday, July 23, 2010

ARTHUR (1981)


(July 1981, U.S.)

Before I get into this post, I have a confession to make - it's nearly 30 years later and I still love the song, "Arthur's Theme (Best that You Can Do)" by Christopher Cross. Hey, man, good is good and that song is (still) good!

I think Dudley Moore will forever be known as the New York City drunken millionare playboy ("I wish I had a dime for every dime I've got."). And why not? I don't know about you, but I haven't heard anyone play the role of a drunkard with slurred speech so well since ARTHUR. And even a guy like me, who doesn't like musicals or musical performers, can still enjoy the comedic efforts of someone like Liza Minnelli. I give credit where credit is due, and she IS funny in her role as Arthur's would-be girlfriend.

But as much as Dudley Moore is practically legendary in this role, it is, in my opinion, Sir John Gielgud who deserves the most recognition here. The man may be the proper British gentleman in every other role he plays, but it's his synical wit and insulting sarcasm (the man sounds perfectly at home when he calls Arthur a "little shit") that steals the show in this movie.

As of writing this post, I've learned that Hollywood is actually going to remake ARTHUR (???). The only part of this undertaking that sounds even remotely interesting is that the role of the valet (Hobson) will now be played by a woman (Helen Mirren to be precise). Beyond that, today's remakes are wrong...so wrong!

Favorite line or dialogue:

Arthur: "Gloria, I'd like you to meet Hobson - my best friend in the world."
Hobson: "I relish the compliment. It's thrilling to meet you, Gloria."
Gloria: "Hi."
Hobson: "Yes...you obviously have a wonderful economy with words, Gloria. I look forward to your next syllable with great eagerness."

No comments:

Post a Comment