Friday, April 5, 2013

GOODBYE, ROGER!




(June 18, 1942 - April 4, 2013)

I'll keep my words brief because anything I can say about this famous (and infamous) film critic has likely already been said by more qulaified film aficionados than myself. I will say that he had a voice and he had opinions that were always heard and more often than not, taken seriously by those who had a reasonably intelligent appreciation in the world of film. I first discovered him in 1982 on the local PBS television station when he had the audacity to give BLADE RUNNER his "thumbs down" and I've routinely followed his voice and his words ever since. Sometimes I agreed with him and sometimes I didn't. And so now, his passing marks the end of an era for myself and those truly appreciated all that he had to offer lovers of film.

By the way, in case you're interested, here were Roger's top ten favorite films of all time (in alphabetical order, just like my blog titles):

1. Aguirrre the Wrath of God (1972)
2. Apocalypse Now (1979)
3. Citizen Kane (1941)
4. General, The (1926)
5. La Dolce Vita (1960)
6. Raging Bull (1980)
7. Tokyo Story (1953)
8. Tree of Life, The (2011)
9. 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)
10. Vertigo (1958)


One thing's for sure, the man's taste in films certainly cannot be argued! Thanks for all the memories, Roger! Say hi to Gene for us!

No comments:

Post a Comment